Medical Treatment and Autism: Tips For Success

Picking The Correct Eye Care Professional For Your Vision Needs

If you are experiencing problems with your vision, you will want to make an appointment with a professional to help you find the proper solution. Picking the right eye doctor, however, may be a bit confusing. There are three types of eye care professionals to choose from: an optician, an optometrist, and an ophthalmologist. Here are the difference between each profession to help you decide which you want to see for your eye needs.


An optician's main job is to prescribe corrective lenses for those that are having difficulty seeing. They will be able to fill out a prescription for glasses and some are able to fit a patient for contact lenses, as well. They will help you pick out the appropriate color and size frames to fit your face shape. Usually, an optician will work in an establishment alongside an optometrist or ophthalmologist. An optician on their own cannot help with medical problems.

If you are positive you are not experiencing vision problems from a disease or medical condition, an optician's help should be sufficient in order to get a new pair of glasses or contacts. Usually going to an optician without having additional checks from an optometrist or ophthalmologist is reserved for those that have previously been checked, and who are just getting a prescription renewed.


An optometrist has a doctor of optometry degree, but lacks a medical doctor degree. An optometrist does four years of schooling after an undergraduate college degree is obtained, giving them several years of education. They will be able to treat specific eye diseases and problems but will not have as much knowledge about how these problems coincide with the rest of the body, such as with certain diseases.

An optometrist is able to prescribe corrective lenses and treat eye conditions and diseases with medication. They are not, however, licensed to be able to perform eye surgery of any kind. If you are experiencing problems with your eyes that you feel will need more than a simple vision prescription, an optometrist will be able to point you in the correct direction for treatment. If they find a significant problem that needs surgical help to repair, they will refer you to an ophthalmologist. 


An ophthalmologist is a medical doctor who specializes in the prevention, diagnosis, and repair of problems within the eye. They have an extensive amount of education behind them, including at least four years in a medical college, one year learning about general medical conditions as an intern, and an additional three years in a university or medical setting. They are able to handle intricate surgeries of the eye and are well-prepared to help with treatment of eye diseases.

An ophthalmologist is seasoned in knowing when an eye problem may signify other problems or diseases within the body. They also have an abundance of experience with optical medications and will know which ones will cause problems with other existing conditions the patient may have with other organs. An ophthalmologist is also able to handle the same jobs an optician and optometrist would handle. You can learn more about ophthalmologists at Should you have extensive eye problems or pain in your eyes, an ophthalmologist would be the best bet for the best care.